Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Shuddering at just the thought

          I had plans to attend an author panel and book signing with my oldest daughter last night. Her day was changed when her friend returned home from South Korea after being gone for several months. Instead, I took my eleven-year-old. I wasn't sure how she would like it, but she had fun...except for standing in lines. She didn't complain, though.
          As I listened to them answer questions I couldn't help but think how terrified I would be to do that. I've suffered from a social anxiety disorder my entire life (selective mutism) and public speaking is at the top of my list of fears. I have become comfortable with having my writing read and critiqued (the first few times were pretty nerve-racking), but the fear of having all focus on me and my mind going blank is horrifying.
          Hats off to Becca Fitzpatrick, Michelle Hodkin, Elana Johnson and Moira Young. They were awesome!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! You took a big step yourself going to the book signing. This gives you an idea of what to prepare for when the day comes that it's time for you to tour the country and tout the wonderment of your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought about taking a public speaking course, or joining something like toastmasters? I come from a family of introverts, and my brother does Toastmasters, and my sister is taking an improv class--both to feel more comfortable in public. Something to think about, and I'll tell you, there are a LOT of shy people who do both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun! I would love to do that, but I guess that makes me an attention whore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Angela-Hopefully one day. :)
    @Gail-I think I could actually handle that at this point in my life. I wish I could convince my 18 yr old to do the same. The sooner you face your fears, the sooner you can overcome them.
    @J.A.-I'm glad there are people who love attention...they can take some of it off of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! You went! Thanks for filling me in. I wanted to go, but, yeah. Life kept me.

    I launched a giveaway today! :)

    ReplyDelete